tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Benjamin Fonzé [benja.be] <be...@benja.be>
Subject RE: Session variables
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 14:34:17 GMT
Hi Rick !
I'm very happy to have an answer...

Yes, I was aware of the timeout, but I don't know how Tomcat manage
these variables, so I really don't know if that's secure (during the
user session), and I store some important information in these
variables...

I'm using HTTPS, so it seems to be ok.

Thanks a lot !

You don't know how I can have information about the implementation of
HttpSession ?

Benja.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Fincher [mailto:rnf@tbird.com]
Sent: mercredi 15 mai 2002 16:17
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Session variables

Hi Benjamin,

The sessions have a timeout value.  If there is no action on a session
for
that amount of time the server kills it.  You can also invalidate a
session
in your program, usually with a "logout" page, but there no guaranteeing
that the user will do it.

A snooper could technically get a session number and start using it, if
they
can do it before the timeout kills the session.

If you are worried about that you need to use HTTPS.

If you don't use url rewriting, each page will be a new session.  This
may
not show up until you try to share something in a session object, and
the
page trhat expects it to be there gets a null.

Hope this helps,

Rick.