tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jason Johnston" <EPA2...@epa.state.il.us>
Subject Re: Tomcat won't find my web.xml files.
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 22:13:22 GMT
Thanks for your input Allan.

I plan on trying to deploy using the manager like you said but I haven't had much luck with
the manager.  Do you know of any documentation available on how to use the manager.  I created
a manager user but about all I know how to do is list running servlets.

However, my problem has appeared to change and I'm not sure why.  It appears that Tomcat is
now parsing my web.xml file and running into errors.  When I launch catalina I get the following
error:

XmlMapper :  Can't find resource for entity -//Sun Microsystems, Inc. //DTD Web Application
2.3//EN ―> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd "null"
PARSE error at line 1 column 1
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:  The markup declarations contained or pointed to by the document
type declaration must be well-formed.

I can't tell if this is an error relating to retrieving the DTD or if my XML isn't formed
properly.  My machine is connected to the internet and I was able to manually download the
DTD from that address.

If you or anyone else has any insight, again I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

-Jason

>>> hugebirdwings@yahoo.com 04/04/02 12:41AM >>>
Jason,
I may not fully find a solution to your problem as
everything seems right.
I suspect your application may not have be fully
deployed. To deploy an application you need to add a
context in your server.xml. Or you can use Catalina's
manager application to deploy/undeploy a context
without Catalina's shutdown.

You could however narrow down the to the source of
your problem by

1>Shut down Catalina, move you application folder from
the webapps directory. Delete the contents of
Catalina's work directory. Create a new user with role
"manager" in your tomcat-users.xml file in your
catalina conf/ directory.
Start Catalina and deploy your application using the
manager application by logging using the new user
created above (You may learn about the manager
application from your catalina installation)

2> Is your .tld file actually located in the specified
"/WEB-INF/lib/taglib.tld" location in your
application.

Well I hope this works.

Allan Kamau.

--- Jason Johnston <EPA2466@epa.state.il.us> wrote:
> I've been working with Tomcat 4.0.1 and I'm running
> into a major stumbling block.  I can run servlets
> and jsp's letting tomcat default to the default
> web.xml but I can't make my own.
>
> I have the following web.xml:

> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
>  '-//Sun Microsystems, Inc. //DTD Web Application
> 2.3//EN'
>  'http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd'>
>

> <web-app>
>
>   <servlet>
>   <servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
>   <servlet-class>com.onjava.login</servlet-class>
>   </servlet>
>
>   <taglib>
>  <taglib-uri>/onjava</taglib-uri>

<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/taglib.tld</taglib-location>