tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Morelock <subscripti...@phillipmorelock.com>
Subject Re: Servlet killing tracking
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:43:50 GMT
i sent you one email already, but i will tell you this again, i have
experienced many oddities in the servlet lifecycle with tomcat 3.
2.x.  I strongly suggest you try (at least in a test environment)
3.3 or 4.x as in my experience these are much cleaner WRT the life
cycle problems you're facing.  I never looked into the oddities that
much, because the upgrade stopped them.

you're also not really giving any information that would indicate
how _you_ think this problem might be solved.  You're saying, it's
calling my destroy method, why?  Questions for you: why does it matter?
does tomcat then not re-init the servlet, thereby hanging all future
requests to it?  Or is that not good enough?  does servlet.destroy()
actually destroy something valuable?  If that is the case, perhaps
you should look into your own design and make certain that it is
necessary to depend on this behavior, considering your unwillingness
or inability to upgrade to a newer version (believe me i understand
-- i currently have a high-traffic application deployed on 3.2.4,
and its oddities WRT servlet lifecycle have caused me more than
once to re-evaluate certain design choices).

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but it just seems like you're asking
for help but you're neither giving us enough information to help
you nor are you apparently thinking critically about the problems
before you (at least it's not apparent from your posts what steps
you've already taken or what exactly your problem is with this behavior).

cheers
phillip

At Wednesday, 24 April 2002, you wrote:

>My problem is not a deadlock. My problem is that the service is
running on
>an other computer 100km from me, it runs 24 hours a day, and sometines
>(rarely) it crashes because Tomcat killed the servlet.
>
>So I can only debug using logs this king of bug tracking. Using
a debug tool
>is not possible...
>
>Thanks for your help

org>