tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joseph Molnar" <josephmol...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Warp and Virtual Hosts (quick question)
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 18:46:34 GMT
Hey folks. I think I am going to write something up on this because I have a
fairly complex situation that covers what you need to do to get virtual
hosts working and since documentation is non-existent. I figured it out by
experimenting and I now have a completely operational systems.  I don't have
the complete config where I am now so I will just describe and then send a
pointer out when the write up is done.

My general setup is as follows:

I am using JDK 1.4 with Tomcat 4.0.3, Apache 1.3.22 (with WARP so). I have 4
virtual hosts, some of them require (additionally) to be used via SSL and
non-SSL (so it is basically 8 name/port combinations).  Also, I wanted some
of them to be in different Java/Tomcat VM's since I don't want one going
down to take out others.

Generally speaking this is what I do:

In my httpd.conf, at the top, I list all of my connections since I share
some of the connections between different hosts (essentially you can and
should share a connection when you don't care if the VM goes down between
the two and if they are both either SSL or both not SSL covered).  Also,
make sure you tell Apache you are doing name virtual hosts (if they don't
have different IP's).

Then in the virtual hosts I put the WebAppDeploy. BUT since I am using JSP's
right off the bat and since I only want to manage the contents of a virtual
host in one place, the WebAppDeploy looks like this (even when the
connection is shared):

WebApp Deploy    .    connectiion

Yes it looks like they would then be sharing the exact same
applications...but that isn't true, I manage the virtual hosts in the
server.xml, which imo, is what you want to do (again manage from one place).

So let's switch to the server.xml's.  Since I run more than Tomcat instance
I have a set of scripts that startup the different instances, making sure to
set $CATALINA_HOME (mainly for the bin directory), and $CATALINA_BASE (for
the specific server instance).

In the server.xml (I will recall just one), I have one Server tag, and then
I have 2 Service takes. The difference Service areas are to make sure that I
properly cover SSL and non-SSL connections.  So in each of the Service areas
I tell it scheme="http" (or "https") and secure="false" (or "true") as is
necessary. BUT this doesn't actually turn on SSL, remember that SSL handling
is covered by Apache. This is so that when a JSP or Servlet asks if the
connection is secure, the answer will be yes.

So then in the Engine area you place your virtual hosts. This is through the
Host tag, making sure you specify name="virtual host name". I then have a
Context in that which directs to the appropriate root location (in the same
directory on the server I have different sub-directories for the http and
https based roots).

Anyway, this should be enough pointers, without many examples, to get you
going. Basically the sample server.xml in Tomcat has what you are looking
for BUT it implies that you don't do it with WARP because it is all under
the HTTP connector. But much of that you can actually use with WARP, and it
works well.

When I write it up I will include example scripts/conf/xml files and some of
the interesting things I found.  I think it will be a useful resource for
the community in generally (it can be frustrating, but I generally had fun
figuring it out).

Joseph Molnar
http://www.codesta.com/