tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joseph Molnar" <josephmol...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: inter-webapp communications
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 06:13:21 GMT
Well if the folks can actually write servlets (or even other simpler things)
then there certainly are options.

a) First, they could send you some XML over some HTTP post operation. Doing
a post operation is simple and creating XML is simple. You then return what
you wish ... easiest is probably more XML since parsers are all over the
place. Essentially that is what SOAP and XMLRPC do, except they are very
well structured on what they look like (and have extra associated overhead
of learning a standard).

b) You can do a simple form post (either via GET or POST), one name value
pair can represent the 'function' and the other name value pairs can
represent the 'parameters' to the function and you return the 'value' as you
see fit (in any format you wish ... again XML is probably easiest due to
parsers, etc).

Both of these can be done (by your users) in JSP, Servlets, ASP, Perl, etc.
They are both fairly simple, but they are conceptually the same as SOAP and
XMLRPC, you are using HTTP to perform an operation. Before the SOAP and
XMLRPC standards I used the a) approach quite often when it came to simple
non-speed oriented systems, otherwise I used RMI on Java and either DCE or
ONC RPC on C++ systems.

Joseph Molnar
http://www.codesta.com/