tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sexton, George" <gsex...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat and Apache Server - Instalation and Performance
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:39:45 GMT
I can give you some good reasons not to use PHP. Take a look at the
Horde/IMP project. It's nice stuff. But my goodness, some of the problems
they have....

For example, it is impossible in PHP to open an IMAP connection and save it
on the session so that it can be used multiple times. They re-open the IMAP
session every request. Talk about murdering scalability...  PHP doesn't have
threads, and in general is pretty brain dead. Here is the deciding factor:

Are you writing software or are you writing scripts? PHP is a scripting
language. Java is a programming language. There is a difference. If you are
writing software, you need the professional language features that Java
offers. If you are writing scripts, then use whatever you would like.

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan José Velázquez Garcia [mailto:velazquez@htmlspider.com.br]
Sent: 26 April, 2002 5:07 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat and Apache Server - Instalation and Performance

Hello,

I have the following environment:
OS: Linux Debian Potato
http Server: Apache

Does anyone can point a good tutorial to install TOMCAT as addon or plugin
within Apache Server?

How can I compare the performance of this configuration with other
technologies? I have to convince the team to use JSP/JavaBeans instead Perl
or PHP.

How can I calculate the simultaneos users and memory needed for a site? Is
there a rule?

Thanks in advance,