tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brandon Cruz" <bc...@norvax.com>
Subject RE: Apache serving static content
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:32:42 GMT
I have the same issue with mod_jk.  We deploy all of our web application
within tomcat_home/webapps.  If a webapp is called myWebapp, then a request
to /myWebapp/image.gif will be processed by Tomcat due to the fact that it
matches the /myWebapp/* declaration.  Is there a way to keep images from
being processed by Tomcat if they are inside a webapp?  Something like the
patch that James mentions below would be exactly what I am looking for.

Configuration is Apache/Tomcat 3.2.4 using several different Webapps.

Brandon

P.S.  If anyone has problems with tomcat serving images very slowly, the
JkLogLevel should be set to "error" instead of "warn" inside of httpd.conf.
This is not really documented anywhere for tomcat 3.2.4, but results in HUGE
improvements in speed if you are serving an image-heavy page in a webapp.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Williamson [mailto:james@nameonthe.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 11:19 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Apache serving static content

Gabriel,

I wrote a quick patch a while ago for mod_webapp that lets you
specify patterns to ignore (i.e. the request never sees Tomcat).
 So apply the patch and recompile, and  in your httpd.conf file use
WebAppIgnore directives to tell mod_webapp which patterns to ignore.

i.e.
WebAppIgnore *.html
WebAppIgnore /cgi-bin/*

I haven't thoroughly tested it so would be pleased to know
how you get on. Please find the patch attached. I would submit
to the developers except I need to fix a few problems with it
(You must put the WebAppIgnore's after you've declared your application).

Regards,

James Williamson

www.nameonthe.net
UK Tomcat Hosting