tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rich" <r...@streetmail.com>
Subject SSL communications using mod proxy
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:30:19 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to secure my webapp via SSL. I'm running Tomcat Version 4.0
behind Apache 1.3.12. Apache and Tomcat communicate via mod_proxy as shown
in

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/proxy-howto.html

Apache has been compiled with mod_ssl, and SSL communications with apache
appear to work correctly. Additionally, my webapp is secured via several
<security-constraint> blocks. In each constraint I have the following:

<user-data-constraint>
 </user-data-constraint>

I also put the correct redirect port in the http connector section of
server.xml, e.g. redirectPort="443"

So my webapp works fine, until I add the <user-data-constraint>. With that
constraint, I get:

Apache Tomcat/4.0.1 - HTTP Status 500 -
description The server encountered an internal error
(/ttapp/reserve/manager) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

Strangely enough, there are no errors or exceptions reported in any of the
log files???

After searching through the archives, it sounds like this sort of
configuration (apache with ssl sitting in front of tomcat) has only been
done with the warp connector. Is my only recourse to use mod_webapp? Or
should I be able to get this to work with mod_proxy?

Many thanks,

Rich