tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Vanspall" <st...@crmsoftware.com.au>
Subject RE: port 8080
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:00:20 GMT
I had the same problem, check the services under control panel, you will
most probably have something else using that port.

I personally had IBM HTTP server using it. But it may be a database service,
if you have one running.

If you know what it is, and it is not essential to run, you can stop the
process.

otherwise you can change the port Tomcat uses.

the settings can be found in the server.xml file.

just search for 8080 and change the port. You may have to do a bit of trial
and error to get a free port, I used 9090 when I was testing different
version of Tomcat.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marquez, Maceo [mailto:MMarquez@gist.de]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 April 2002 4:58 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: port 8080

I am brand new to the Tomcat communicty and recently installed Tomcat
successfully on my win2000 pc.  However, when I restart the pc, Tomcat is no
longer able to start, and gives the error listed below.
-I restarted the computer, nothing
-I reset the %CATALINA_HOME%/conf/server.xml connector port to 1977, as
suggested in 'troubleshooting' like so:

port="1977" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="true"
redirectPort="8443"               acceptCount="10" debug="0"
connectionTimeout="60000"/>

Still, the error:

Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Error creating server socket
(java.net.Bind
Exception):  java.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
LifecycleException:  Error creating server socket (java.net.BindException):
jav
a.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.initialize(WarpConne
ctor.java:491)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:454)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:553)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
----- Root Cause -----
java.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:452)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:170)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:121)
        at
org.apache.catalina.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(Defau
ltServerSocketFactory.java:118)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.initialize(WarpConne
ctor.java:485)