tomcat-users mailing list archives

From PSA <listm...@posom.com>
Subject TC3.3 blocking (was: In jk_endpoint_t::service, get_reply failed in send loop 1)
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:34:35 GMT
Bill - Thanks for your efforts.
We finally tracked the problem to a servlet which was trying to make a
JDBC connection to a server that it couldn't reach.  This was easy to
fix, but what I don't understand is
1) Why did all of the other requests to the server have to wait for this
one?  Is something synchronized here?  With no traffic to the server the
misbehaving servlet would eventually return when it caught the SQL
exception for the timed out connection.  All pending requests would go
through at that time as well.
2) Why did the other contexts also get held up for this one servlet?  We
have been considering allowing some users to use JSPs in their own
(restricted) contexts.  But this will never be possible when one servlet
can take everything down.
3) Why all of the failed connection entries in the jk.log?  It appears
that all of tomcat was blocking for this one servlet (and not even a
singleton) while mod_jk tried in vain to contact it.
4) Is there any way to fix this?  We are using an only slightly modified
version of the tomcat 3.3(.1) default configuration (though Apache is
heavily configured and mod_rewrite directives abound).  I'd really
prefer to not have to make configuration changes to the httpd.conf
includes, but would a different connector have the same problem?  JK2?

Thanks.

Paul Anguiano
Unix SysAdmin/Webmaster
Seattle Public Schools