tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leonard Crowe <leonard.cr...@dairy.com>
Subject RE: JSP compile fails to find class
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:57:37 GMT
Steve,

Is the jsp that your having problems compiling an include for another jsp
page (By that I mean "<%@ include file="???.jsp" %>)?  If so that your
having the same problem I'm trying to track down.  When the included file
changes but the parent file does not, Tomcat does not seem to be trying to
compile the parent page but instead tries to compile the included file on
it's own and fails because it's not really a complete servlet.  In your case
it does not have the imports for the classes you are trying to reference.  I
don't really have an answer for you but we might be having the same problem.

Leonard

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve D George [mailto:steve_george@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 11:38 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: JSP compile fails to find class

Hi, I've tried hunting through the archive but no success as yet so can
anyone help with this please.

I have a webapp that was working just fine on 3.2. I've just installed
tomcat 4 and I'm trying to get the same webapp to work.
I have created a new web.xml based around the example one that comes with
T4. Then I've copied over the whole of the directory structure for the
webapp that I'm migrating. I think this is all I need to do.

The first JSP page in my web app makes use of a couple of classes. One of
these is referenced as follows:

<jsp:useBean id="trackerState" scope="session" class="TrackerStateBean"/>

the other is referenced like this:

<%
  new HistoryController().retrieveUsers(trackerState);
%>

Both the TrackerStateBean and HistoryController classes are in the
WEB-INF\classes directory for the web app but when the JSP is compiling I
get an error saying that class org.apache.jspTrackerStateBean cannot be
found. The same is true of the HistoryController class. It appears to be
looking for both classes in the org.apache.jsp package but these classes
aren't in any package at all?????

The error trace is below. Any help much appreciated,

Cheers,

Steve.

An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /trackerentry.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
4.0\work\localhost\locationtracker\trackerentry$jsp.java:57: Class
org.apache.jsp.TrackerStateBean not found.
                TrackerStateBean trackerState = null;
                ^

An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /trackerentry.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
4.0\work\localhost\locationtracker\trackerentry$jsp.java:60: Class
org.apache.jsp.TrackerStateBean not found.
                    trackerState= (TrackerStateBean)
                                   ^

An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /trackerentry.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
4.0\work\localhost\locationtracker\trackerentry$jsp.java:65: Class
org.apache.jsp.TrackerStateBean not found.
                            trackerState = (TrackerStateBean)
java.beans.Beans.instantiate(this.getClass().getClassLoader(),
"TrackerStateBean");
                                            ^

An error occurred between lines: 34 and 37 in the jsp file:
/trackerentry.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
4.0\work\localhost\locationtracker\trackerentry$jsp.java:101: Class
org.apache.jsp.HistoryController not found.
                  new HistoryController().retrieveUsers(trackerState);
                      ^
4 errors

             at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:285)
             at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:552)