tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: compatibility Tomact 3.3.1 and 4.x
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:49:10 GMT
Some differences are caused by the fact that tomcat 3.x and 4.x
implement different servlet and jsp specs. 2.2/1.1 -> 2.3/1.2

But tomcat should be backwards compatible with all spec related
changes.

Some other effects are created by the fact that the classloader
architecture is quite different.

Other effects have their cause in the different states for
certain libraries. (e.g. AFAIK mod_jk supports no loadbalancing
for tomcat 4 but for 3.2/3.3)

It's no problem to run several versions of tomcat on one machine.
You have only to make shure that you avoid port conflicts.

/usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-3.3.x

/usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2
/usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
  Here we have the original distribution.

For all domains that use tomcat 4 we have following setup

/www/online/<domain>/
  conf/
    Here we have our edited config files for the site
    (We have one server per site)
  bin/
    Here we have scripts that sets following env vars
    to start and stop tomcat:
      JAVA_HOME, CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE
      CATALINA_HOME points to the tomcat version
      we wan to use for a given site.
      CATALINA_BASE points to the base directory of
      the site

As we didn't have a multisite environment for tomcat 3.*
I didn't look how to achive this setup with it.