tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jay Gardner" <...@qwest.net>
Subject RE: alias
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2002 18:09:27 GMT
Did you try

<servlet>
  	<servlet-name>controller</servlet-name>
  	<servlet-class>controller</servlet-class>
 	<!--This servlet-class needs to be the actual name of the servlet. If name
is com.mycompany.myproject.Controller, then that is what needs to appear
here.-->
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
 	 <servlet-name>controller</servlet-name>
  	<url-pattern>/login</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Don't worry about the query string being passed in to the servlet. That will
be passed by the container from the jsp to the servlet.

Hope this helps!

--Jay Gardner

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Phillips [mailto:paul@partitura.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 10:49 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: alias

I need some generic advice...  probably really easy.

I have written an application with a controller servlet.  The controller
servlet is event driven - every form submit button on one of the jsp pages
maps to
"controller?event=DOWHATEVER".  After the controller does its thing, it
sends the puts the results in a session, and transfers control back to a
jsp page for display.  My first attempt at MVC.

My initial page is generated when the user types

URL/whatever/controller?event=WELCOME

Now I would like to make an alias that is like:

"URL/whatever/login" which will map to
"URL/whatever/controller?event=WELCOME".

What is the best way to do that?

Not being much of an expert at the web.xml file, I tried the following
within web.xml:

<servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>controller</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/controller</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>controller?event=WELCOME</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/login</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

That, most assuredly, did not work.

How should I go about doing this?

I guess I could change the code of my servlet so that if there is no event
definition provided, it goes to the welcome page...  But it seems that
there should be some way to setup an alias like this.

Thanks
Paul Phillips