tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <>
Subject RE: What is different when running tomcat 4 as a service?
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 23:46:34 GMT
often this occurs because PATH is like this:

When installing Java, the JRE is put in Program Files, and an executable
java.exe and javaw.exe in c:\WINNT\SYSTEM32, which are found first and hence
use the JRE.

- Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Trasuk []
Sent: Friday, 12 April 2002 9:50 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: What is different when running tomcat 4 as a service?

I ran into the same thing trying to use the COMM api's under the service
option.  In my case, it turned out that although I had the JDK installed,
the service actually runs using the JRE (I think the installer actually
installs the JRE).  So when I put the extensions into C:\Program
Files\Javasoft\JRE\1.3.1\lib\ext (rather than my usual \jdk1.3.\lib\ext),
everything worked fine.  I haven't seen anything else that bit me while
trying to use Tomcat as a service.  It actually works fairly well as a
miniature application server!.

Greg Trasuk, President

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>