tomcat-users mailing list archives

From dmk...@earthlink.net (David M. Karr)
Subject Process for using Manager reload of war file?
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 22:39:49 GMT
I'm trying to understand the complete process of getting the Manager
application to completely reload a rebuilt application.

I'm on Win2k, with TC 4.0.4b2, and JDK 1.4.0.

With Tomcat down, I make sure I have a valid WAR file copied into webapps, and
the unpacked directory is gone.

I then start Tomcat and test the app.

Now, I make a minor change to one JSP file and rebuild the WAR file.

At this point, I've tried various things, starting with copying the new WAR
file into webapps.  I've tried the "reload" op.  I've tried using "stop", and
then "start".  I've tried deleting the unpacked directory, but while Tomcat is
running, this never completes (Tomcat probably has something open).  None of
these things seem to result in Tomcat reloading the app.  When I retest the
app, it doesn't show the minor change I made to the JSP.

I've verified that the Manager app basically works, as I can execute the "list"
operation, and I can use "stop" and "start" on an app to see its different
output in the "list" output.

I'm just using "wget" to interface to the Manager app, writing results to
standard output.

I wondered whether the "unpackWARs" attribute in my Context element in
"server.xml" would make it NOT unpack the WAR into the directory, but this
seemed to have no effect.  I set this to "false", made sure the unpacked
directory was gone, restarted Tomcat, and it unpacked the WAR again.