tomcat-users mailing list archives

From rsud...@on.com
Subject Starting Tomcat 4 as an NT service
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:41:19 GMT

I know there has been considerable discussion and recommendations for how to
start Tomcat as an NT service. However, no one has seemed to address how Tomcat
4.0.3 actually _is_ installed as an NT service. In the standard distribution
there is a program in the bin directory called tomcat.exe. This is apparently
used during the installation on Windows to install the Tomcat service. I've been
able to figure out how to make this work on my own, but I can't help wonder
where this program came from or why - it is not mentioned or documented anywhere
on the Jakarta web site (that I can find). I'd be glad to share a batch file for
using this program from the command line to install or uninstall the Tomcat
service. But first I'd like to know something about the origins of this and
whether it is intended to replace jk_nt_service.exe, whether it will be
supported in future versions of Tomcat, whether it is extensible to support
running other Java applications as services, etc.

- Ram