tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Clearwater, Pete" <pcl...@students.ubc.ca>
Subject Tomcat4 performance.
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:51:51 GMT
Hi All.

I'm currently doing some performance testing in order to convince my superiors that we should
move away from the expensive Weblogic app server to a free JBoss/(Tomcat or Jetty) implementation.
 However, I've run into a bit of a snag as both Tomcat and
Jetty appear to be about 50% slower than Weblogic under equivalent loads.  Our Web app caches
most of it's data so DB access is not a concern ( see http://regi2.adm.ubc.ca:7107/courses/ubcjsp/pubs/courseschedule/main.jsp
to see it in action) but it does
output a considerable amount of "dynamic" data.  In my tests I have apache configured to ProxyPass
all requests for dynamic data and to serve all images and static files.

Does anybody have any tomcat performance tips/tricks I can try?  I've already turned all the
logging as far down as I can

When I run it through Optimizeit, 15% of the CPU time is spent in org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseWriter.write().
 Because we use a lot of includes (each page is comprised of 3-4 included JSP files)  7% of
the time is also spent in
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP().

One thing I'm wondering about - The included JSP files are included through RequestDispatcher.include()
(I cannot use the JSP:Include tag) and in order for the data to appear in the correct order,
I had to add the tag  "<%@ page buffer="0"
autoFlush="true" %>" to all of my JSP files.  I assume this doesn't help the performance
of the system... is there anyway around this?  This is not required in Weblogic.

I realize performance questions are very difficult to answer, but any info at all would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Pete Clearwater

Pete Clearwater
Systems Analyst           Enrolment Services
Student Systems           Brock Hall
tel: 604.822.8662         2016-1874 East Mall
pete.clearwater@ubc.ca    Vancouver BC, Canada, V6T 1Z1