tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Phillips <p...@partitura.com>
Subject alias
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2002 16:48:48 GMT
I need some generic advice...  probably really easy.

I have written an application with a controller servlet.  The controller
servlet is event driven - every form submit button on one of the jsp pages
maps to
"controller?event=DOWHATEVER".  After the controller does its thing, it
sends the puts the results in a session, and transfers control back to a
jsp page for display.  My first attempt at MVC.

My initial page is generated when the user types

URL/whatever/controller?event=WELCOME

Now I would like to make an alias that is like:

"URL/whatever/login" which will map to
"URL/whatever/controller?event=WELCOME".

What is the best way to do that?

Not being much of an expert at the web.xml file, I tried the following
within web.xml:

<servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>controller</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/controller</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>controller?event=WELCOME</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/login</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

That, most assuredly, did not work.

How should I go about doing this?

I guess I could change the code of my servlet so that if there is no event
definition provided, it goes to the welcome page...  But it seems that
there should be some way to setup an alias like this.

Thanks
Paul Phillips