tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Timlin, Bob" <>
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 17:55:14 GMT
But with Tomcat all I have to do after I install a new database is put the
jdbc driver in the TOMCAT/lib directory.  No re-compiling or re-installing
of the software.  Why is PHP so difficult to add components after the fact?

-----Original Message-----
From: Javier A. Leyba []
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 10:46 AM
To: Tomcat Users List

On 08/04/2002 at 10:37 Timlin, Bob wrote:

>Well I took a PHP class and asked my instructor about this scenario.
>I installed SuSE Linux 7.2 with Apache and PHP pre-installed, then I
>installed MySQL after the fact.  I couldn't get PHP to see MySQL, I asked
>instructor and he told me that I needed to install PHP after Both Apache
>MySQL were installed.  I found this strange to accept, but since I had no
>desire to use PHP after the class I left it at that.

If logical. If you installed source code to compile and tried to install PHP
before install MySQL, PHP will not found MySQL libraries and will not work
with it.

If download PHP source code you will notice there is a file called INSTALL
with 3 simple steps that ALLWAYS work.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at

To unsubscribe:   <>