tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kairam, Raj" <Kair...@coned.com>
Subject Unable to make Tomcat work with localhost
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:29:00 GMT
> Installed Tomcat on a HP machine running HP-UX 11. Also running Netscape
> Navigator 4.x
> Set required environment variables ( TOMCAT_HOME and JAVA_HOME ) in the
> start up .profile file and verified.
> Not able to see Tomcat welcome page and facing problems not mentioned in
> any of the books I read.
Installation and the ability to start Tomcat to work with JSPs and servlets,
was easy I thought.
Another user suggested I check if any other process is using port 8080. I
could not figure that out in the absence of 'lsof' which had to be built for
my HP and I did not have the build tools. But I essentially am trying to
work locally.

Not that easy, I guess.  Can any one help me with this, please ?
> Please Help

In Netscape browser's -  preferences | Advanced | proxies | View - set No
proxy for 158.57.*.* and HTTP Proxy as webgate, port as 80 ( which are our
standard settings ). Also our firewall administrator says there is nothing
wrong with the firewall.

> root@m020plts:/meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3> startup.sh &
> Using CATALINA_BASE: /meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
> Using CATALINA_HOME: /meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/temp ( Note I did not
> create myself this temp directory, yet )
> Using JAVA_HOME: /opt/java1.3

After I type the url as below, I am getting these errors in the Netscape
browser
>  http://158.57.4.220:8080/index.html
Failed to connect, Host could not be contacted
http://127.0.0.1:8080/index.html
Same error as above
http://localhost:8080/index.html
Forbidden, You are not permitted to access the remote system