tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kairam, Raj" <Kair...@coned.com>
Subject Unable to start Tomcat(4.0.3)
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:40:15 GMT
Installed Tomcat on a HP machine running HP-UX 11. Also running Netscape
Navigator 4.x
Set required environment variables in the start up .profile file and
verified.
Not able to see Tomcat welcome page and facing problems not mentioned in any
of the books I read.
Please Help

root@m020plts:/meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3> startup.sh &
Using CATALINA_BASE: /meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
Using CATALINA_HOME: /meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /meta1/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/temp ( Note I did not
create myself this temp directory, yet )
Using JAVA_HOME: /opt/java1.3

After I type the url  http://158.57.4.220:8080/  in Netscape browser running
in another window

Takes a long time and comes back with the following error message.
Gateway Timeout
The firewall did not receive a timely and complete response from the
upstream server it accessed in attempting to complete the request. This may
be due to one or more of the following:
An incorrectly formatted response from the we server,
the web server suddenly became unavailable,
an overly congested network link between the web server and the firewall, or
extraordinarily high latency between the web server and the fire wall.

The response seen by the firewall was:
http://158.57.4.220:8080

When I look at the catalina.out in the logs directory, I see the following (
only top few and the bottom few lines)
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3
Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3
Catalina.start: LifecycleException: null.open: java.net.BindException:
Address already in use: 8080
LifecycleException: null.open: java.net.BindException: Address already in
use: 8080
   at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConnector.ja
va:1130)
(so on)

Catalina.stop: LifecycleException: This server has not yet been started
LifecycleException: This server has not yet been started
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:527)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
--- end of file ---

I could 'ping' to other hosts on the network, could 'nslookup' on hosts
outside the firewall.
Installation and the ability to start Tomcat to work with JSPs and servlets,
I thought was easy reading books.
Not that easy, I guess.  Can any one help me with this, please ?.
Thanks
Raj