tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Oracle JDBC driver must be unpacked?
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2002 20:31:39 GMT
There are a couple things that could be going on.

There are some classloading issues that were introduced in Tomcat-4.0.2 and
Tomcat-4.0.3 is a carbon copy of 4.0.2 except for a security fix.  One
thing you might to is move to Tomcat-4.0.4-b2.  The classloading issues
have been solved along with a bunch of other bugs.  It seems very
stable.  I'd recommend trying that.

Secondly, you might try getting your dirver with:
Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().loadClass("MyClass");
rather than
Class.forName("MyClass");

The first way is the proper way to load classes in Java2.  Class.forName is
the Java1 way and doesn't take into account your classes being loaded by
multiple classloaders like the environment of Tomcat.

I have run Tomcat-4.0.4-b2 with the Oracle12.jar in both WEB-INF/lib and in
$TOMCAT_HOME/lib and in $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.  I have had no issues so
far being able to classload the Oracle driver.

Write back if those suggestions don't fix you issue.

Jake