tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Philip I Juels <pju...@rics.bwh.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Installation Issue
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:03:11 GMT
I installed java1.3 and tomcat works...

Thanks,

Philip Juels

Ricky Leung wrote:

> check your logs under $CATALINA_HOME/logs and what errors you get there?  I
> think the requirement for Tomcat4 is java1.3 also.
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Philip I Juels [mailto:pjuels@rics.bwh.harvard.edu]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 3:51 PM
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Installation Issue
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
>   I'm having trouble getting tomcat to work on my system.  System info as
>   follows:
> 
>   1)  Sun Solaris 8 on a Sun Fire V880 (sparc)
>   2)  apache-1.3.12 (part of Solaris default installation)
>   3)  jakarta-tomcat-4.0-200020415 build installed in
>   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> 
>   I have $CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
>   and $JAVA_HOME=/usr/java...which is a link to /usr/java1.2 (again part
>   of Solaris 8 installation).
> 
>   When I run bin/statup.sh, I get...
> 
>   Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
>   Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
>   Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/temp
>   Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java
> 
>   But, when I go to http://localhost:8080 or
>   http://localhost:8080/index.jsp, I get a "Unable to locate" error from
>   Netscape.
> 
>   When I execute bin/shutdown.sh, I get a rather long message...
> 
>   Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
>   Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0
>   Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/temp
>   Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java
>   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/naming/NamingException
>   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.<init>(Unknown Source)
>   at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method)
>   at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Compiled Code)
>   at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Compiled Code)
>   at
> 
> org.apache.commons.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:253
> )
>   at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.startElement(Compiled Code)
>   at
>   org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callStartElement(Compiled
>   Code)
>   at
>   org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(Compiled Code)
>   at
> 
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(Co
> mp
>   iled
>   Code)
>   at
>   org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1081)
>   at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1263)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown Source)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown Source)
>   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Compiled Code)
>   [ERROR] Digester - -Begin event threw error
>   <java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/naming/NamingException>
>   Exception during startup processing
>   java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
>   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/naming/NamingException
>   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.<init>(Unknown Source)
>   at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method)
>   at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Compiled Code)
>   at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Compiled Code)
>   at
> 
> org.apache.commons.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:253
> )
>   at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.startElement(Compiled Code)
>   at
>   org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callStartElement(Compiled
>   Code)
>   at
>   org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(Compiled Code)
>   at
> 
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(Co
> mp
>   iled
>   Code)
>   at
>   org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1081)
>   at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1263)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown Source)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown Source)
>   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Compiled Code)
>   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Compiled Code)
> 
> 
>   I did a similar installation on a linux box and had no problems.
> 
>   Any help?
> 
>   Thanks,
> 
>   Philip Juels
>   pjuels@rics.bwh.harvard.edu
> 
> 
> 
> --
> To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
> --
> To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 



--
To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message