tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Luc BEAUDET <>
Subject Re: port
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:22:49 GMT
chuck amadi a écrit :

> Atif Munir wrote:
> >Hi,
> >in which file the port is set fro tomcat?
> >atif
> >

> >--
> >For additional commands: <>
> >Troubles with the list: <>
> >
> Hi default port setting for tomcat is usually port 80 such as
> http://localhost:8080/ webapp/
> Thus you can change this in Jakarta-tomcat > conf > server.xml file
> scroll down and change above 1024 as per the tomcat installation
> readme.txt file.As usually and in my case that port has already been
> assigned to another app.
> Hope this helps
> Cheers Chuck Amadi
> Systems Programmer
> --
> For additional commands: <>
> Troubles with the list: <>

I guess it's just typo error.

The default port for Tomcat is 8080:

To change this features, go to

$TOMCAT_HOME/conf and edit the file server.xml

<!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that represents the entire JVM,
     which may contain one or more "Service" instances.  The Server
     listens for a shutdown command on the indicated port.

     Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.

This Port 8005 is the port on which Tomcat is waitin' for a kill server
Only necessary to modify if already in use by another app.

 <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>
    <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout
     to -1 -->

The port above 8080 is the std port on which Tomcat, as a standalone app,
is runnin' on.
Modify this port in case yu need to make as a std web server; for
instance 80.

<!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

               enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

The port below is the port used by the Tomcat-Apache communication
In my case the WarpConnector ( mod_webapp in the Apache Server ).
Yu can also have port 8009 for AJP13, port 8007 for AJP12
And, as far as i remember, 8008 for ApacheJServ.

Hope this help.

Jean-Luc :O)