tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alex Sauve <>
Subject weird behaviour with jsp pages
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:42:20 GMT
Hi all,

I have a tomcat that is performing a little weird and I am sure that it
is a configuration issue, but I have spent days trying to pin-point the
problem with little effect.  So here is the scenario, I am running
Tomcat with Apache and the Apache server that connects to the Tomcat
server is a proxy server in front of another Apache server (don't know
if that is important information???).  So you are probably wondering by
now what is the weird behaviour?  Well the thing is that I have written
some jsp pages to be used with the Tomcat server, they will only execute
when located within a "jsp" directory.  Yup, the jsp pages will only
execute when located under a jsp directory, but they can be in another
directory under the jsp directory and they will work again as long as in
their directory tree there is a directory called jsp.  Don't quite
understand why this is, and I have checked everywhere for some behaviour
similar to this and nothing.  I don't believe that jsp pages have to be
located in a jsp directory, so I would like to rectify this problem.  So
here is the configuration of Apache and Tomcat...

The Apache conf file extract: (don't forget this is the proxy server in
front of the backend Apache server)

Include /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.3a/conf/mod_jk.conf

<VirtualHost _default_:443>
  SSLEngine on
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteLog /home/xlink/logs/RewriteLog.proxy
  RewriteLogLevel 2

  # this directive is set in order to avoid access
  # to directory listing in the portal
  <Directory "/home/portal/html">
    Options -Indexes

  JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
  JkMount /sso/* ajp13

  ProxyPass /xlink http://localhost:9442/xlink
  ProxyPass /authapi http://localhost:9442/authapi

  ProxyPass /portal http://localhost:9303/
  ProxyPass /portal/ http://localhost:9303/
  ProxyPass / http://localhost:9303/

  RewriteRule /portal/images(.*) /home/portal/html/images$1
  RewriteRule /portal/js(.*) /home/portal/html/js$1
  RewriteRule /images(.*) /home/portal/html/images$1
  RewriteRule /js(.*) /home/portal/html/js$1
  RewriteRule /css(.*) /home/portal/html/css$1

  ProxyPassReverse /portal/ http://localhost:9303/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:9303/

There is a similar entry for the port 80 virtual host.

The tomcat configuration file is as follows:########## Auto generated on
Mon Jan 28 19:17:37 EST 2002##########

<IfModule !mod_jk.c>
  LoadModule jk_module libexec/
  AddModule mod_jk.c

JkWorkersFile "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.3a/conf/jk/"
JkLogFile "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.3a/logs/mod_jk.log"

JkLogLevel debug

#JkMount /admin ajp13
#JkMount /admin/* ajp13

#JkMount /examples ajp13
#JkMount /examples/* ajp13

#JkMount /sso ajp13
#JkMount /sso/* ajp13

The project containing the jsp's that I wrote is obviously the sso
project, but the same behaviour occurs when I try to move one of the
example jsp pages from the jsp directory.
If you need anymore information, please just let me know and thanks for
your help...

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>
Troubles with the list: <>