tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Evans <tom...@webdev.apl.jhu.edu>
Subject Re: multiple users using tomcat
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:58:57 GMT
Joe,

I have to do this at JHU for some Java classes.  The best I've figured
it out, you use a Listener that designates a certain directory as a
"home" directory for web apps.  It iterates through all of the
directories in the "home" directory, and builds webapps for any that
contain the WEB-INF/web.xml structure (your student accounts).  This
sounds complex, but all you have to do is have the following in your
server.xml file:

      <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">

      <!-- Local Staff web applications for webdev -->
      <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
            directoryName="public_html"
            homeBase="/export/home/"
            userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.HomesUserDatabase"/>

I left the definition of the virtual host in as a guide to where to put
the Listener in the server.xml file.  This particular configuration
looks for all directories in the /export/home directory that are
configured to be web applications, and automatically sets up the web app.

The only down side is that the server has to be restarted when new
directories are added, since the server builds the web-apps  as it
starts up.  If anybody knows how to get around this limitiation, I'd
love to know....

Bob