tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <>
Subject How to debug Tomcat itself?
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:16:18 GMT
Hi all.

I would like to get some advice on debugging Tomcat itself. I have downloaded
Tomcat-4.0.3-src and managed to make a JBuilder 6 project out of it.

I can start Tomcat and I can enter a debugging session. My main goal is to see
what is going on with those JNDI JDBC resources (JNDI troubles - several threads).

I figured that my main problem lies in TyrexDataSourceFactory class, since it
reads JNDI object and tries to create a DataSource object out of it. It is
surrounded by one large try {} catch() clause, which masks all exceptions and
just returns null, without logging anything at all.

So, I compiled everything and set a breakpoint in:

but JBuilder never stops there. I also tried to run step by step, but JBuilder
gets lost around XML parsing code (enters an interface source, insted of

1. Any immediate advice?

2. What is the flow of operations?

3. When is Tyrex actually invoked? Upon parsing or upon deploying a context?

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>
Troubles with the list: <>

View raw message