tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject How to debug Tomcat itself?
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:16:18 GMT
Hi all.

I would like to get some advice on debugging Tomcat itself. I have downloaded
Tomcat-4.0.3-src and managed to make a JBuilder 6 project out of it.

I can start Tomcat and I can enter a debugging session. My main goal is to see
what is going on with those JNDI JDBC resources (JNDI troubles - several threads).

I figured that my main problem lies in TyrexDataSourceFactory class, since it
reads JNDI object and tries to create a DataSource object out of it. It is
surrounded by one large try {} catch() clause, which masks all exceptions and
just returns null, without logging anything at all.

So, I compiled everything and set a breakpoint in:

TyrexDataSourceFactory->getObjectInstance()

but JBuilder never stops there. I also tried to run step by step, but JBuilder
gets lost around XML parsing code (enters an interface source, insted of
implementation).

QUESTIONS
---------

1. Any immediate advice?

2. What is the flow of operations?

3. When is Tyrex actually invoked? Upon parsing or upon deploying a context?

Nix.