tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Owens <sha...@portablehole.net>
Subject Re: Security Propagation
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:23:27 GMT
To answer your assumption, I do have custom security needs beyond
standard container security (like permission-based functionality). I
guess my main concern was associating the user's principal with the
security identity in EJB calls. According to the servlet spec, SRV.12.7,
a security identity/principal must always be provided for use in a call
to an enterprise bean. It's not clear on how this is done...

I take it from my research so far that if I want to implement any of
this stuff, it's going to be proprietary to a specific container.  I see
that the AuthenticatorBase stores the principal in the session, but
where does the security context get loaded? or does it? How does the
container manage the EJB calls? I think I'm just mainly curious, since
the specification is so vague. But I would like to make my app as
portable as possible...

Am I trying to do something you're not supposed to do? I did see an
example of what I need in the book "Special Edition Using EJB 2.0"...
however, they simply mention that because they weren't using
container-managed security on the web app side, you need to associate
the principal with the thread's security context in order to propagate
it through the EJB calls. No details.

If this is off topic or something, please let me know - I've never
actually used mailing lists / forums before.

Thanks - Jason