tomcat-users mailing list archives

From chas <pa...@skinnyhippo.com>
Subject inter-webapp communications - anything better than RequestDispatcher?
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Is there any standard mechanism for inter-webapp communication ?

Perhaps an example would explain this better:

On my production server, our website is in <tomcat_home>/webapps/mainsite
This contains content, forms, JSPs, servlets, the standard corporate website.

Now, on my laptop I've created a standalone webapp for an events calendar,
and another webapp that is a discussion forum.
<tomcat_home>/webapps/eventscal
<tomcat_home>/webapps/forum

Of course, I can deploy these 2 webapps on the production server but
do not wish them to be independent sites. Instead, I wish to make
calls to these from the main website - treating them as individual
components.  For example, a servlet or JSP in my main site might
call (pseudocode) - eventscal.addEvent() or forum.addDisplayThread()

Is there a standard mechanism for this ?

Options I've considered :

a. Creating a custom taglib.  Don't wish to do this because I wish
   to be free of JSPs. Also, I still want to be able to deploy the
   webapp as a standalone application if needs be.

b. I could do this with RMI but that seems like overkill and slower
   performance. However, it has the advantage that it's scalable (if
   ever I had to deploy over multiple machines).

c. RequestDispatcher is the closest that I've seen and I'm happy
   to continue using this unless there is a better way to do it.

Really, I'm looking at the best mechanism for packaging a
webapp so that other people can use it as part of their
existing site. eg. one that is perhaps more J2EE or framework
friendly, so that the webapp can be used by a greater number
of people. If I'm going about this completely wrong, pls do say.

Thank you very much for bearing with me,

chas