tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sayre Robert <say...@rappdigital.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0.3 and JAXP1.2
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:05:41 GMT
you have another parser somwhere on the classpath.
Probably it's Xerces.jar in common/lib.

Robert Sayre
sayrer@rappdigital.com

-----Original Message-----
From: HansRupp@aol.com [mailto:HansRupp@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 2:02 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 4.0.3 and JAXP1.2

Hi
I am trying to use JAXP1.2 (from the java_xml_pack-spring02-dev from SUN)
with Tomcat 4.03 (jdk1.3.1_03). I have put all the jar files from JAXP1.2
into the WEB-INF/lib directory of my webapplication.
When a servlet tries to instantiate a class which uses JAXP features (for
XSL-transformation) it becomes unavailable: (from localhost_log)2002-04-07
16:04:20 StandardWrapper
[/WFB:EntryConfirmServlet]: Marking servlet EntryConfirmServlet as
unavailable
2002-04-07 16:04:20 StandardContext[/WFB]: Servlet /WFB threw load()
exception javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet class
de.wfb.servlets.EntryConfirmServlet at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:89
3)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:808)
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/xml/transform/TransformerException at
java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method) at
java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:232) at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:88
4)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:808)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:
32

66)
In a documentation about Tomcat 4 (seems not to be specific for 4.03) I have

found:
By default the Java API for XML Processing (Version 1.1) reference
implementation is utilized ....
However this parser is not visible for to web applications ...
To make an XML parser available to your web applications, ...
To utilize an XML parser in a single web application simply include the
parser's JAR files in the /WEB-INF/web.xml (?? I guess that should read
/WEB-INF/lib) directory of the application. This will work, no matter what
parser might be used ....
The class in question compiles and runs in a stand-alone version.
Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Hans