tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jakarta Tomcat Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com) <jakarta-...@basebeans.com>
Subject Re: jsp servlet error in NetBeans
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:10:01 GMT
Subject: Re: jsp servlet error in NetBeans
From: "Joey DiPrimo" <joey@kettera.com>
 ===
Under your tomcat directory there should be a sub-directory
work/DEFAULT/your-app-name
Under that directory should be .java and .class files
that correspond to your .jsps.  These are automatically
generated by the jsp parser/compiler that comes with Tomcat
and shouldn't need to be modified.

Each java file should be part of "package jsp".  Tomcat's class
loader should find this directory and the .class files therein by use of
your-app-name (ie. the same name of your .war file or directory under
webapps).  You can always clean out the contents of the
work/DEFAULT/your-app-name directory and have them
re-generated if they aren't working properly.

In your case, it might be that something about the way you have filesystems
mounted is making it so that tomcat's class loader can't find the work/
directory or one of its subdirectories.

"Nick Wesselman" <nick@digivis.com> wrote in message
> btw,
>
> We suspect this may be related to our shared SMB filesystem and bad SMB
> file locking in OS X. Make sense at all?
>
> Nick
>
> On Tuesday, April 23, 2002, at 11:08 AM, Nick Wesselman wrote:
>
> > I'm asking about this over at the netbeans projects, but I figured
> > someone here might be able to help. We're seeing this across multiple
> > versions of Netbeans when we try to run JSPs.
> >
> > cannot load servlet name: jsp
> > 2002-04-23 10:53:20 - Ctx(  ): Exception in: R(  + /kccat_test.jsp +
> > null) - java.lang.NullPointerException
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveClassLoader.loadClass
> > (AdaptiveClassLoader.java:471)
> >         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:253)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(JasperLoader.java:136)
> >         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:253)
> >         at

org.netbeans.modules.web.tomcat.JspServlet.doLoadJSP(JspServlet.java:248)
> >         at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader12.loadJSP(JasperLoader12.java:146)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:433)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary
> > (JspServlet.java:152)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service
> > (JspServlet.java:164)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:318)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:391)
> >         at
> > org.netbeans.modules.web.tomcat.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:91)
> >         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
> >         at
> > org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:286)
> >         at
> > org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
> >         at

org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java: