tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Saddest OfAllKeys <keyofdmi...@yahoo.com>
Subject scaling Tomcat
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 01:05:15 GMT

hello,

My apologies if these are FAQs. I've searched for
them.

I'm working on a webapp.  My team wants to measure
performance/scale from the get-go.  The plan is to
start with Apache/Tomcat and measure, using commercial
products only when necessary.  An approximate goal is
500 users of the course of a day, with a response time
of 3-5 seconds.

Q1: Can someone point me to info on tweaking Apache
and Tomcat for performance/scale? I have James
Goodwill's Tomcat book and while it is good, it
doesn't address this issue.

Q2: Are there any rules of thumb for the high-end of
Tomcat's ability re: number of users?  I know this is
terribly vague.  FWIW, the webapp is a portal server
and not really dealing with EJB.  It queries some
remote databases via HTTP and other protocols.

Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Mike
keyofdminor@yahoo.com

<tomcat-user-subscribe-john=host.domain@jakarta.apache.org>

tomcat-user-sc.1019004117.gmllnllhdmofiioijmdm-keyofdminor=yahoo.com@jakarta.apache.org

mailto:tomcat-user-sc.1019004117.gmllnllhdmofiioijmdm-keyofdminor=yahoo.com@jakarta.apache.org

> > This confirmation serves two purposes. First, it
> > verifies that I am able
> > to get mail through to you. Second, it protects
> you
> > in case someone
> > forges a subscription request in your name.
> >
> > Some mail programs are broken and cannot handle
> long
> > addresses. If you
> > cannot reply to this request, instead send a
> message
> > <tomcat-user-request@jakarta.apache.org> and put
> the
> > entire address listed above into the "Subject:"
> > line.
> >

> > --- Administrative commands for the tomcat-user
> list
> > ---
> >
> > I can handle administrative requests
> automatically.
> > Please
> > do not send them to the list address! Instead,
> send
> > your message to the correct command address:
> >
> > To subscribe to the list, send a message to:
> >    <tomcat-user-subscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> > To remove your address from the list, send a
> message
> > to:
> >
> > Send mail to the following for info and FAQ for
> this
> > list:
> >    <tomcat-user-info@jakarta.apache.org>
> >    <tomcat-user-faq@jakarta.apache.org>