tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aditya <adi...@mighty.grot.org>
Subject Re: autoDeploy scan timer setting?
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:57:09 GMT
Remy,

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 05:22:17PM -0800, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> > In org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig I see a variable that sets the
> "scan
> > timer" to deploy new contexts:
> >
> >    /**
> >      * The number of seconds between checks for web app deployment.
> >      */
> >     private int checkInterval = 15;
> >
> > is there a server.xml config file setting to alter this? 15 seconds is a
> bit
> > too fast...
> >
> > I've noticed that if you happen to hit the URL for the context while it's
> > being deployed then the deployment aborts and you have to restart tomcat
> to be
> > able to start that context. Is this a known bug?
>
> I've been doing this, and this does not happen.

I tracked down the behaviour to the fact that the appBase directory was on a
loaded down NFS server so even though the directory existed, WEB-INF/web.xml
was unavailable.

In any case, I put it on a better NFS server and it worked fine under 4.0.2 --
I upgraded to 4.0.3 running the security manager and left autoDeploy="true" in
server.xml but now apps added to the appBase directory don't get autoDeploy'd
at all, even after checkInterval seconds:

      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="/data/webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

Is there something additional I have to configure in 4.0.3 that wasn't in
4.0.2? BugID 3724 which is listed as resolved as of 4.0.1-B1 describes
something similar but under Windows -- I'm running this on FreeBSD.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Adi