tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aditya <adi...@mighty.grot.org>
Subject Re: $CATALINA_HOME/shared deprecated? [was Re: NoClassDefFoundErr or With Tomcat 4.0.2 and Xalan 2.3.1]
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 20:25:46 GMT
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:13:44PM -0400, Larry Isaacs wrote:
> More acurately, $CATALINA_HOME/lib is the "shared" classloader
> (there is no $CATALINA_HOME/shared directory).  It is the place
> to put shared jars that you don't want to be visible to the
> Catalina classloader.

okay, then the documentation at the URL below needs to be updated to reflect
that. At the bottom of the document is a list of repositories tomcat looks in
at startup and $CATALINA_HOME/lib is not listed....

> I'm not sure whether "include $CATALINA_HOME/shared in the
> classpath" is referring to the JVM's classpath or that classes
> aren't visible to your web application.  They won't appear
> on the JVM's classpath because Catalina builds the classloader
> hierarchy at startup.  The JVM's classpath appears as part
> of the "system" classloader in the diagram shown on the document
> cited.

I was referring to the Catalina "built" classpath as per the
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/setclasspath.sh script

Thanks,
Adi