tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there a native JDBC driver for MS Access?
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2002 01:08:47 GMT

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Adrian Beech wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:38:45 +1000
> From: Adrian Beech <a.beech@bigpond.net.au>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Is there a native JDBC driver for MS Access?
>
> Ummmmm, okay then how stable is the JDBC/ODBC bridge?  As I previously
> mentioned in my initial posting some bits and peices that I've read suggest
> that this method of connecting to a DB back end is, or can be, a little
> dodgy.  The comments basically revolved around the premise that the bridge
> is not capable of being threaded and it is considered by Sun to still be
> experimental.  I got the impression that there is potential for data loss or
> corruption along with performance related issues.

The JDBC/ODBC bridge is not appropriate for use in a multithreaded
environment like a servlet container.  Also, lots of people have had
problems trying to use MS Access (designed for personal desktop use) in
environments like this, even with a for-pay JDBC driver.

I'd start by choosing a different database.

> I guess I really need to know if it is reasonable to use Tomcat to host an
> environment that relies on this sort of DB connectivity.
>
> Adrian
> a.beech@bigpond.net.au

Craig