tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Good process for develop/build/deploy/test cycle
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 17:24:01 GMT

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Wellie W. Chao wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:49:36 -0500
> From: Wellie W. Chao <wchao@caraveltech.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Good process for develop/build/deploy/test cycle
>
> Yep, I use Ant, and it's great. It would really suck if I didn't. Right now
> the part that is time-consuming is waiting for the app server to deploy the
> generated EAR. I am just wondering if people use Mock Objects, Cactus, or
> something completely different that allows one to just recompile the classes
> and JSPs that have changed and immediately run what you want to test.

The HEAD branch (and nightly builds) of Tomcat 4 have some additions that
cater to exactly this cycle -- custom Ant tasks that interact with the
Manager webapp.  My app development cycle is now:

1) Start Tomcat if it is not already running
2) ant install           (Tell Tomcat where my app is)
3) ant compile           (Output directly to the installed directory)
4) ant reload            (If I changed a class - JSP changes picked up
                          automatically in the usual way)
5) test my app
6) fix something
7) goto (3).
8) ant remove            (Finally, tell Tomcat I am done)

The time taken by the reload step depends on what your destroy() and
init() methods have to do -- for "hello, world" applications it takes less
than a second.

Of course, you don't get EJBs with this approach -- but if you can fake
the data layer with standard JavaBeans (perhaps developing the EJBs
independently), you can get the whole front end of the app developed this
way, and do the longer cycle stuff (deploying an EAR) only at the end.

Craig