tomcat-users mailing list archives

From naval jajoo <navalja...@yahoo.com>
Subject doubt regarding apache tomcat 4.0.3
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 07:25:35 GMT

Dear friend,

I am working on Apache Tomcat 4.0 and to run servlets
on it.
It is installed in
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0
and all the folders appears as in 3.2.1 version.
now in this Apache Tomcat 4.0 folder I had created
nilesh folder.
it's heirarchy is
webdev--
            web-inf --(all html files)
                            classes (all class and
java files)  and  lib (all jar files)
and I had stored in e drive also  Apache Tomcat 4.0
folder only (excluding nilesh folder) and nilesh
folder is seperated with all itz previous contents in
e drive.

Now When I go to start-Programs-Apache Tomcat
4.0-Start Server
server starts
but when i go thru command prompt i.e
c:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\bin> startup
it gives
The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined
correctly.
This environment variable is needed to run this
program.

In control panel :in system-environment-i had added
3 variables in both System Variables and User
Variables for Administrator
are :
Variable : CATALINA_HOME
Value : C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0

Variable : JAVA_HOME
Value: c:\jdk1.3

Variable : TOMCAT_HOME
Value : C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0

and set host as claris2
when i write url as
http://claris:8080
it shows the index.html page of Apache Tomcat 4.0

but when i give url of servlet as
http://claris2:8080/webdev/HelloWorldExample

it gives error on IE as
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 404 -
/webdev/HelloWorldExample

type Status report

message /webdev/HelloWorldExample

description The requested resource
(/webdev/HelloWorldExample) is not available.
======================
I am not able to understand all the settings are made
according to gives in tomcat documentation then also
this error is giving.and one more thing there is no
exception on the server.

So please guide me how to rectify this to avoid error.
=======================================

After configuring Apache Tomcat 4.0 from command
prompt I write
c:\cd Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\bin\startup
The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined
correctly.
This environment variable is needed to run this
program.
While in Control Panel/System/Environment I had set
CATALINA_HOME to c:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0
but I can start server from Start\Programs\start
Tomcat
Then server is running
and http://localhost:8080 the index.html page is
coming
so we had change host to claris2
and put our servlets .java and .class files in
Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\examples\web-inf\classes
and not trying to disply servlet on IE thru
http://claris2:8080/examples/web-inf/classes/HelloWorldExample
it is giving
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 404 -
/examples/web-inf/classes/HelloWorldExample

type Status report

message /examples/web-inf/classes/HelloWorldExample

description The requested resource
(/examples/web-inf/classes/HelloWorldExample) is not
available.

Kindly help me to debug this problem at the earliest.
What changes to be made in
server.xml,web.xml too.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,