tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re[2]: Starting Tomcat 4 as an NT service
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 19:24:24 GMT
Hello rsudama,

Just a note.  I've posted this answer twice before on this list.
Please search the archives because it *has* been answered and I gave
the solution in the email and didn't ask anyone to search anywhere for
the answer.  Anyway, here it is again:

I distilled the following from this article:
http://www.webmasterbase.com/printTemplate.php?aid=305

Assuming you have all your environment variables set, just copy+paste
the following to a command line...

To Install Catalina Service:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe -install Apache-Catalina %JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
-Djava.class.path=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar -Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%
%CATALINA_OPTS% -Xrs -start org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start -stop org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
-params stop -out %CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log

To Uninstall Catalina Service:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe -uninstall Apache-Catalina

Now, check in your Services applet and the "Apache-Catalina" service
should be there.

Jake

roc> Yes, I understand perfectly well that it's an option in the installer. I'm
roc> trying to find out where the documentation are sources are for this tool that is
roc> included as part of the "open source" distribution. If there's some reasons for
roc> not distributing the sources for the tool itself (or how about the whole install
roc> program?) that's fine, but it would be nice if there was at least some
roc> documentation on its use. As far as I can tell, the general attitude of the
roc> Tomcat community on this is "we've figured out a way to get this done, and
roc> here's a bunch of pointers to places where you can figure it our for yourself".
roc> I already have other tools that can do this if I need to, but since a perfectly
roc> good tool has already been developed by someone I'd rather use that if it's
roc> possible.

roc> - Ram

roc> ce@shore.net on 04/09/2002 01:22:22 PM

roc> Please respond to "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

roc>  To:      "'Tomcat Users List'"
roc>           <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

roc>  cc:      (bcc: Ram Sudama/ON Technology)

roc>  Subject: RE: Starting Tomcat 4 as an NT service

>> service. However, no one has seemed to address how Tomcat 4.0.3
roc> actually _is_
>> installed as an NT service.

roc> It is now included as an option in the installer.

roc> - tex

roc> --
roc> To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
roc> For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>