tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Shaw <MS...@centricasoftware.com>
Subject Design question: common/lib --> WEB-INF/lib
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 23:29:04 GMT
I have a design question I'm guessing someone has already tackled:

I'm developing an application that runs within Tomcat.  All the JARs for
that application are in it's webapp/WEB-INF/lib, except for a few classes
that implement a Realm which referenced in server.xml.  Because these
classes are referenced in server.xml, they need to be in
{catalina_home}/common/lib.  The problem I have is that my Realm need to use
my database code, but my database JARs are defined in my webapp lib.  I
could put everything in common/lib except that I'd like to be able to
control (start/stop/re-load) my application using the Tomcat manager.

Question:
How can my code in common/lib reference objects in webapp/lib?  Do I have to
do this using JNDI by defining common interfaces in common/lib and returning
webapp/lib objects from my factories?  Any guidances is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark