tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Neale Rudd" <ne...@metawerx.net>
Subject Re: "processing page"
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 05:43:35 GMT
Hi,

The server push example is very cool, but it only works on
Netscape 4 (not Internet Explorer or Netcape 6).  I would
recommend using the following instead:

1. Output a page that says to wait
2. Flush the result (make sure all tables are closed and the page
is complete, so it shows on the browser).
3. Perform processing
4. Output javascript to cause a page location change.

Alternatively (as some clients have javascript disabled...), use the
following method, which is what I did with some credit card processing
software once:

1. Start a session that manages the request thread and user
transaction
with the server
2. Output a wait page that contains a meta-refresh every X seconds,
and start processing in a new thread (5-10 seconds is a good wait
time).
3. If further requests come and the thread is still not finished
processing,
send a new wait page saying you are still waiting.
4. If the thread has completed when the requests come, send the
result.

Regards,
Neale Rudd
metawerx