tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Larsen" <lar...@qec.com>
Subject Re: Process for using Manager reload of war file?
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 23:19:16 GMT
Here's the deal with unpacking of war files: It only
happens when Tomcat starts and autodeploys apps that
do not otherwise have a <Context> element in server.xml.

If you manually define the context, it won't unpack the war file!
If you update the war file and reload, it won't re-unpack the war file!
Absolutly NOTHING will get tomcat to re-unpack a war file except
stopping tomcat, manually deleting the unpacked directory, and
restarting tomcat.  And again, it ONLY unpacks auto-deployed apps.

I've given up on war files, because I need my app unpacked so Apache
can serve the static content. Luckily, I have an ftp client (CuteFTP)
than can upload an entire directory structure with one command. Then,
with the files already unpacked (I have reloadable="false" in my <Context>),
I use the manager app to reload my application.

Personally, I fail to see the purpose of auto-unpacking of war
files if the only way to reload is to manually delete the unpacked
directory (Tomcat developers: are you listening?!?!?). It has caused
myself and many other contributors to this list more headaches than
it is worth.

My $0.02,

Jeff