tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Höglind <>
Subject Re: jk_nt_service fails (error 1067)
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:14:04 GMT

I'm sorry if my English isn't the best but it isn't my native language and I wrote this little
tutorial on working time ;-)
Also, if there is something that isn't right in this tutorial, please feel free to ask.
You can also access this tutorial via my website
 I will try to expand the tutorial in the future.

There are some additional settings left that I have left out and some that I havn't figured
out yet and some . I still don't understand how to make sure that Servlets are reloaded when
I'm putting up new ones, and some other things. But atleast you should have the server up
and running.

Hope this help,
Alexander Höglind

1. Stop Apache Tomcat  in NT Services (if it is installed).
2. Unistalled previous versions of Tomcat (if it is installed).
3. Install j2sdk-1_4_0-win.exe, restart, (if it isn't already installed).
4. Install jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3.exe (,
with NT service selected, into a path without any spaces (C:\Tomcat4, I don't know if it's
5. Create JAVA_HOME as  a System Variable with the path to where you installed j2sdk.
6. Create CATALINA_HOME as a System Variable with the path to where you installed Tomcat.
7. Start Tomcat via the Start menu.
8. Try localhost:8080 and you should see Tomcat Startpage.
9. Stop Tomcat via the Start menu!
10. Create a file called iis_redirect.log and put it into %CATALINA_HOME%\logs.
11. Create a folder in %CATALINA_HOME%\bin called native and put the latest!!!! isapi_redirector.dll
downloaded from (
into that folder.
12. Create a folder in %CATALINA_HOME%\conf called jk and put the jk_nt_service.exe(
into that folder.
13 Download a file called from
found in , put it into %CATALINA_HOME%\conf\jk and and change following
wrapper.tomcat_home= the path where you installed Tomcat (the same as CATALINA_HOME)
wrapper.java_home=the path where you installed j2sdk(the same as JAVA_HOME)
and wrapper.cmd_line found in the bottom of that file,
wrapper.cmd_line=$(wrapper.javabin) -Xrs"$(wrapper.tomcat_policy)"
-Dtomcat.home="$(wrapper.tomcat_home)" -classpath $(wrapper.class_path) $(wrapper.startup_class)
-config $(wrapper.server_xml) start
14. Open the command prompt and type %CATALINA_HOME%\conf\jk\jk_nt_service -i TomcatNTService
15. Open NT Services and start TomcatNTService (NOT Apache Tomcat, only the TomcatNTService
just installed!!)
16. Restart

Now both Apache Tomcat and TomcatNTService should be installed and running!
17.Create a folder in %CATALINA_HOME%\conf called ntiis
18. Put found in into ntiis. Comment /examples
(#/examples) if you don't want anyone to access thoose files. Uncomment #/*jsp=ajp13 (/*jsp=ajp13)
and  #/servlet/*=ajp13 (/servlet/*=ajp13). With this configuration IIS will only forward jsp
files and servlets put into the "clasess" folder.
19.Create a file called iis_redirect.reg into ntiis.
Type this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector\1.0]
"log_file"="C:\\The Path Where You Installed Tomcat\\logs\\iis_redirector.log"
"worker_file"="C:\\The Path Where You Installed Tomcat\\conf\\ntiis\\"
"worker_mount_file"="C:\\The Path Where You Installed Tomcat\\conf\\ntiis\\"

Save the file and run it.

20. Start the Internet Services Manager.
21. Create a virtual catalog in you website calle Jakarta and point it to the native folder
22. Choose Properties on your server (not your website) and choose Edit on Master Properties.
Chosse ISAPI Filters and choose Add. In the Filename type: Jakarta Redirector. Choose browse
and click your way to isapi_redirector.dll installed in the native folder. Now there would
be a red arrow showing that the service is not runnig. Restart World Wide Web Publishing Service
in the NT Services. Make sure that the arrow is green.

23. Open server.xml installed in the conf folder. Look for  <Host name="localhost". This
is the default host running on your computer. Inside this host you'll find some context. You
can delete all of them if you don't need them.
Look for where the host tag ends (</Host>). After that tag,  define your own host:

This is a copy of my host tag:

<Host name="">
<Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" directory="logs" prefix="hoglind_com_log."
suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
<Context path="" docBase="C:/Inetpub/" crossContext="false" debug="0" reloadable="true"

24. Restart Apache Tomcat andWorld Wide Web Publishing Service in the NT Services in that
25. Create a folder called WEB-INF in your root catalog. Create a folder called classes and
one called lib into WEB-INF. Put a copy of web.xml found in %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\root\WEB-INF
into the newly created WEB-INF folder.
26. Put your jsp files anywhere on your server and put your servlets into classes and your
jar's into lib.
27. Done.