tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: starting Tomcat 4.0.3 on Compaq Tru64 Unix
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:08:03 GMT
> --- Lee Newman <ewn@psulias.psu.edu> wrote:
> > I'm having some problems starting Tomcat 4.0.3 on
> > Compaq
> > Tru64 Unix.  I've looked for a FAQ that might
> > address the problem,
> > because it seems like this is probably a common
> > beginner's issue,
> > but I haven't been able to find any information that
> > addresses this.
> > The problem I'm seeing is, when I run startup.sh,
> > Tomcat doesn't seem
> > to be starting up.  I get the following information
> > written to the
> > screen:
> >
> >  Using CATALINA_BASE:
> > /lcs/users/ewn/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
> >  Using CATALINA_HOME:
> > /lcs/users/ewn/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
> >  Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
> > /lcs/users/ewn/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/temp
> >  Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/opt/java131
> >
> > and catalina.out shows:
> >
> > usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [
> > -config {pathname} ] [ -debug ] [ -nonaming ] {
> > start | stop }

My problem exactly. I don't know if it is just Tru64 UNIX or others have the same problem,
but either *startup.sh is broken* or there is something messy with shells on Tru64.

The message Lee reported on the bottom is from Catalina and it simply states that the startup
parameters were wrong. What must be added is "-config ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml". For
some reason, it must be explicitely stated on startup. So, on 4.03 I had to edit "startup.sh"
line into this:

exec "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" start -config ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml

Is org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina supposed to "look around" for it's config file if
not specifically stated on command line?

Nix.