tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.0.3 and JAXP1.2
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:40:43 GMT
> Hi
> I am trying to use JAXP1.2 (from the java_xml_pack-spring02-dev from SUN)
> with Tomcat 4.03 (jdk1.3.1_03). I have put all the jar files from JAXP1.2
> into the WEB-INF/lib directory of my webapplication.
> When a servlet tries to instantiate a class which uses JAXP features (for
> XSL-transformation) it becomes unavailable: (from localhost_log)2002-04-07
> 16:04:20 StandardWrapper
> [/WFB:EntryConfirmServlet]: Marking servlet EntryConfirmServlet as
unavailable
> 2002-04-07 16:04:20 StandardContext[/WFB]: Servlet /WFB threw load()
> exception javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet
class
> de.wfb.servlets.EntryConfirmServlet at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:89
3)

> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:808)
> ----- Root Cause -----
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> javax/xml/transform/TransformerException at
> java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method) at
> java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:232) at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:88
4)

> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:808)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:
32

> 66)
> In a documentation about Tomcat 4 (seems not to be specific for 4.03) I
have
> found:
> By default the Java API for XML Processing (Version 1.1) reference
> implementation is utilized ....
> However this parser is not visible for to web applications ...
> To make an XML parser available to your web applications, ...
> To utilize an XML parser in a single web application simply include the
> parser's JAR files in the /WEB-INF/web.xml (?? I guess that should read
> /WEB-INF/lib) directory of the application. This will work, no matter what
> parser might be used ....
> The class in question compiles and runs in a stand-alone version.
> Any ideas?

It's a known problem with 4.0.3. Moving the JAXP classes to common/lib, or
upgrading to 4.0.4 beta 2 should solve the problem.

Remy