tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John W. Warner" <jwar...@ccs.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject RE: How to pre-compile JSP's ?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:29:59 GMT
There are three methods. I like #1, I used #3 up until a while ago.
Anyway, here they are.
My major criticism of method #3 is that all the machine/port/etc..
settings should either be passed in on the command line, put in static
final Strings, or loaded using a properties file.
- John

1) If you use ANT or can use ant... Put the following in the build
script.
<!-- JSPC Precompile -->
<target name="jspc" depends="init">
  <java fork="yes" classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC">
    <arg line="-uriroot /your/Catalina_home/webapps/context -d
       /your/Catalina_home/WEB-INF/classes -p jsp -webapp
       /your/Catalina_home/webapps/context" />
  </java>
</target>
(from Jay Gardner's Message 04/08/2002 help with JspC)

2) Touch each url for each jsp page and include ?jsp_precompile in the
url.

3) Write a small program to do method 2 for you.
>From Professional JSP Second Edition (wrox) (pretty decent book too,
simple examples and such)
<code below this line>
package com.wrox.projsp.ch03.util;

import java.io.File;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.net.URL;

public class Precompile {

    String pathname = args[0];
    String queryString = "?jsp_precompile";
    String urlBase = "/chapter04/jsp/";

    try {
      File dir = new File(pathname);
      if (!dir.exists()) {
        throw new IOException("pathname " + pathname + " not found");
      }
      File[] files = dir.listFiles();
      for (int i = 0; i < files.length; i++) {
        String jspFile = files[i].getName();
        if (jspFile.endsWith(".jsp")) {
          System.out.println("working on " + files[i].getName());
          try {
            URL url = new URL("http", "127.0.0.1", 8080,
                              urlBase + jspFile + queryString);
            System.out.println("compiling " + jspFile + " using " +
urlBase
                               + jspFile + queryString);
            url.getContent();
          } catch (Exception e) {

            // add error handling
          }
        }
      }
    } catch (Exception e) {
      System.out.println("exception raised:" + e);
    }
  }
}
<code above this line>