tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jay Wright <jwri...@once.com>
Subject Logging
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:48:37 GMT

Using Tomcat 4, I am trying to accomplish writing logs (preferrably via
System.out and System.err) that have a timestamp on each and every write.
Iplanet and JavaWebServer did this automatically.  It is important to write
to these logs and have them timestamped, WITHOUT writing code that is in any
way web-server specific.

What I have learned about Tomcat 4 logging is this:  All System.out and
System.err print statements go by default to the catalina.out file.  Each
<context> within tomcat can be written to a specific file via the <logger>
component.

There are a couple of "questions" that I'm trying to understand.

First - can the catalina.out file be configured through tomcat components
such that all System.out and System.err entries are timestamped.

Two - What are the api calls to write to the <logger> file and can I
specifiy the verbosity (the level of the entry 0-4) with each entry?

I'm hesitant to use the <logger> since I'm unfamiliar with whether or not
that code would be portable to other web servers?

Thanks,
Jay