tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: IE 5 on Mac is incompatible with TC 4?
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:10:46 GMT
I don't copletly agree with that.

As long as you don't break specs it is possible to do
something in tomcat to deal with errors in browsers.
(Like missbehavior in the headers of a http request)

If a browser has a bug that you can't deal with, without
breaking the spec there isn't much you can do.

There might also be browser bugs that you can't avoid at
all. E.G. if a browser doesn't send a cookie under certain
conditions, what would you suggest to change on the server
side to change that. (I don't know if this happens here)

P.S:
In this case you don't have to alienate all Mac IE5
users because there is workaround: using encodeUrl().
Which should be used anyway, because otherwise you will
alienate all users that disable cookies. (Which will be
more than Mac OS 9 users with IE 5)

<snip/>
> Who cares if it's a "reference implementation?" If it doesn't
> work with
> current mainstream browsers then it is useless. No company running a
> ecommerce site wants to alienate all Mac IE5 users. It would
> be idiotic, not mention bad business.
>
> Tomcat must work with all current mainstream browsers (at
> least NS and IE)
> on all all major platforms for it to be useful. Typical sers do not
> upgrade their browsers. So everything else must be upgraded
> to work with
> them, bugs and all.
<snip/>