tomcat-users mailing list archives

From lindsay.hamo...@bt.com
Subject How can I resolve this "IllegalStateException: Response has alrea dy been committed" problem?
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:01:08 GMT
[TOMCAT-3.3
JDK 1.3.1
WIN 2000]

Hi everyone,

I have a webapp that consists of various servlets - each of which is
associated with one or more JSPs.  The way it works is that someone logs in
(by calling a servlet which forwards them to the JSP form).  This servlet
then processes the input and then (upon successful authorisation) forwards
control to another servlet (which then displays another JSP and handles user
requests from this JSP).  This servlet then processes the user requests and
forwards control to the relevant servlet, which then forwards them to a JSP
page.

My application is working just fine, apart from the fact that I keep getting
these annoying "IllegalStateExceptions".  Here is the full exception:

2002-03-08 11:20:55 - Ctx(/AgentGenerator) : IllegalStateException in R(
/AgentGenerator + /servlet/Create + null) - java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Response has already been committed
        at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.HttpServletResponseFacade.sendError(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.HttpServletResponseFacade.sendRedirect(Unknown
Source)
        at zeus.generator.web.controllers.Home.goToAddress(Home.java:163)
        at zeus.generator.web.controllers.Home.processRequest(Home.java:120)
        at zeus.generator.web.controllers.Home.doGet(Home.java:131)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
        at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

2002-03-08 11:20:55 - ErrorHandler: Error loop for R( /AgentGenerator +
/servlet/Create + null) error java.lang.IllegalS
tateException: Response has already been committed

I have tried (and tried, and tried, ...)  to find some information on the
web, but have yet to find a solution.  It seems I can't forward more than
once from the same servlet, but I'm not even sure if I'm right about that.

If anyone can shed any light on this issue it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Lindsay