tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Lee <>
Subject Re: tomcat startup problems on Linux box.
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 04:15:25 GMT
I've noticed that " shutdown" doesn't always stop Tomcat.
It's easy to get around it, you can manually kill the Java process that
runs Tomcat. Tomcat won't start if there is already a running version.
To automate this, you can modify (just add two lines) to
save the process ID of the Tomcat Java process to a file (most Unix
daemons do that) when started. And kill the process when stopped.

At 11:05 AM 3/1/2002, Sean Machin wrote:
 >Hi All,
 >I am running Tomcat 4.0 on a Redhat 7.1 machine.
 >Everything is fine, except the startup/shutdown
 >scripts do not seem to work reliably.
 >I installed Tomcat from the RPM, so use the script
 >/etc/init.d/tomcat4 {shutdown|start}.
 >Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
 >I can always restart the service with a reboot,
 >but don't want to have to do that.
 >Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Patrick Lee <>

To unsubscribe:   <>