tomcat-users mailing list archives

From hanasaki <hanas...@hanaden.com>
Subject Re: Jetty .vs. tomcat
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:10:29 GMT
Just a thought.  Try the most current Production JDK (1.4) and the most
current Tomcat (4+).  That JDK version is a bit old.  I am not preaching
"always do the latest and greatest" or "Use Beta Stuff in Prod".

Also, It might not hurt to check your code.  It is possible to introduce
a "memory leak" in your own code by accidently maintaining a reference
to objects you no longer use.  If the ref count never goes to zero, it
will never be scheduled for GC.

Steve Wong wrote:
> Hi mingfai,
>
> 	I am trying other application servers because I have some problems using tomcat in a
production environment.

> 	The environment is Solaris 8, JRE1.2.2, tomcat3.3, Apache1.3.23 with mod_ssl and mod_jk.
> 	What I discovered is that when I use apache benchmark tool(ab) to generate many requests
on apache, the java heap allocated
> in tomcat continuously increases.  Up to a point that there is OutOfMemoryError.
> 	If I generate the requests on tomcat instead, there is no problem.
> 	I am using the OptimizeIt to see the above result.
>
> 	And What I can find in cvs log of mod_jk is that there was a memory leak bug in May
last year.  But this bug is said to be fixed.
> 	If I use Apache1.3.23 without mod_ssl, I find that the java heap remains stable.  However,
I discovered that the allocated memory
> of the java process of tomcat continuously increases.  Because I am afraid that there
will be OutOfMemeryError in the production